Monday, May 28, 2007

Are you living (what?)... Are you living (what?)...

When did the '90s become a musical genre in itself? In honor of this month's long weekend, a radio station in Syracuse decided to play only "90s" music, which was surprisingly amusing and reminiscent at the same time. When I was a kid, '70s music was meant for ridicule, and when I was in college, all things '80s were similarly considered silly. But when did it become ok to relegate the '90s to such loving mockery as well? I missed the memo completely on that, especially since that decade barely ended seven years ago. It still feels so fresh...



After I saw a couple of episodes of In Living Color over the weekend, I realized there is actually much to mock from the '90s. Just to name a few: Beverly Hills 90210, Kato Kaelin, grunge, Vanilla Ice, the Spice Girls, etc. (I guess VH1 has already figured that out with their I Love the '90s series.) However, those wacky Wayans were rocking the mock in while still living in the decade!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This weekend, I flew ATA to Chicago, and was shocked to discover several '90s songs on the "Oldies and Favorites" channel of the inflight entertainment system.

And then my mom found a gray hair in my beard.

I feel old.