Wednesday, October 18, 2006

News promos

Ok I know it must be hard to come up with fresh and creative ideas for local TV news promos, and believe me, I have seen some idiotic ones. (Remember that I lived in Macon, GA and Charleston, SC for some time.) But I believe I saw the absolute DUMBEST promo ever this afternoon. It was for Syracuse station, WTVH, a CBS affiliate. Their take on why we should watch them is that they LIKE HANGING OUT TOGETHER. Their whole ad has absolutely nothing to say about their news coverage. It just shows the news team hanging out and talking about how chummy they are with each other.

What the crap? I don't care that a news team LIKES each other. I want the bloody news, for pete's sake. Maybe they have nothing positive to say about their news coverage? Every local station, in a mediocre or metropolitan market, is always touting their Emmys and other awards. How come this station isn't doing that? Does that mean they have no awards? Or maybe they have no news skills? Who knows? But they REALLY like each other. Isn't that swell?

It's a good enough promo to make me never want to watch that channel at local news time. Although part of me wants to watch it and make my critiques on this blog... stay tuned.

No comments: