Tuesday, October 10, 2006

The Art of Procrastination

So I have midterms tomorrow in two of my more reading-intensive classes, Media Law and Critcal Methods of Film and TV. The latter has easier reading but the instructor's exams are notoriously difficult. The former is just a lot of Constitutional history and case memorization. Both classes have a shit-ton of reading material, and naturally both classes are on the same day, and so, incidentally, are their mid-term exams.

Therefore, I have been buried in coffee shops and book stores for the past five days preparing for these two tests, but I am not finished yet. It's kind of daunting for a procrastinator like myself to work, even that far in advance, but you see, I'm nowhere close to being prepared at this point. (And that's because I haven't really been keeping up with everything weekly, like I should have been doing: Procrastination.)

For some reason, the adrenaline rush of finishing something last-minute allows me to learn faster, think more clearly and even produce better results. Maybe that's why I loved breaking news situations at CNN. I had to think on my feet, and fast.

But anyway, after three hours at Barnes and Noble this afternoon, I had to take a break. So I strolled the aisles, hoping that I would be inspired to return to the books soon. Instead, I spent an entire hour reading a book on Procrastination. And now I'm back at home, preparing dinner while my books taunt me for neglecting them (slightly) all semester. On the other hand, Veronica Mars is about to start...

No comments: