Thursday, October 05, 2006

"Good" Yankee barbeque?

Oh yes. It exists.




This place has been written up in numerous travel mags - I even saw it in Sky, Delta's in-flight mag, a couple of months ago. But I didn't believe it until tonight. I went with some friends from school, and we dove in for the full experience.

We started with appetizers - cornbread and fried green tomatoes. The cornbread was a little too crumbly and dry for my taste, but it had been baked with honey on top, so it was forgiveable. I don't think they knew to bake it in a skillet with bacon grease, though. That always gives a nice salty crust to the 'bread, which was missing in tonight's concoction. But still, the tomatoes were excellent. Fried with bread crumbs instead of cornmeal, they were served on a bed of lettuce with cayenne buttermilk ranch dressing (YUM!) and some parmesean cheese sprinkled on top. All the Southerners at our table agreed that this was the (how do the kids these days say it?) BOMB.

We all ordered the pulled pork sandwiches with different sides. I got mashed potatoes and cole slaw. The slaw wasn't too sweet, which is something I don't really like about Southern slaw. The mash had a great kick from an abundance of black pepper, so both sides were good. The sandwich itself was delicious, too. The chain's signature bbq sauce is quite tasty, although not nearly as "asskicking" as it promises on the menu. It was spicy (could've had more kick, if you ask me), but not overpowering. The meat was also really tender but flavorless if you got a piece without sauce. I added plenty of sauce to my sandwich, and I really enjoyed the whole meal.

We each tried a different dessert as well - I had some chocolate pie thing, which was basically chocolate pudding on an oreo crust with whipped cream and chocolate chips on top. It was sinfully delectable. The others had equally yummy things - pumpkin cheesecake, vanilla rice pudding and sweet potato pie. Mine was the best, though. (Sorry Jacque, Nancy and Carl, but it's true.) Now I am sitting on the couch, wishing I'd not eaten quite so much while staring at the seemingly starved actors on Grey's Anatomy. I bet they never pig out on barbeque with their friends...

2 comments:

Carl Yost said...

"I bet they never pig out on barbeque with their friends..."

Yes, and the "Grey's" folks are all the more pathetic for it. :-) Seriously, I knew there was a reason I hated Meredith. Still, the eating-ice-cream-on-the-bed ending was pretty cute...

Susie Hume said...

I like the "new" look of your blog! Glad you enjoyed your Dinosaur BBQ experience, but I swear the Rochester one is better (I hope Leah and other Syracuse natives don't read this), so sometime I'm going to take you, and anyone else who wants to go, there! The location is beautiful (looks right over the genesee river as it rushes to high falls) and the food is just better somehow...