Saturday, August 05, 2006

A civilized newsroom?


Yesterday, my arts journalism class went to visit the local newspaper, the Post-Standard, where many of us will be doing internships during the next year. Kathleen took this picture of the newspapers on a reel, waiting to be distributed.

We sat in on a budget meeting, which is when the editors of each section get together to decide which stories will make the front page. The thing that struck me most about the place is that it was so quiet. Everyone was very polite and accomodating towards each other.

I can't remember a single day in the CNN newsroom that was like that. So during the entire visit, I was questioning whether I was at an actual media outlet or not. It didn't seem normal, but it got me to remember my buddies at CNN.com in London. They are all newspaper guys who got hired to do online work, and they are pretty civilized too. They always look moderately annoyed when some lunatic TV person freaks out in the newsroom. Although I have to say that London's newsroom was much calmer than the Atlanta one.

It's going to be weird to start an internship at an office where people are actually respectful of each other, and there's no shouting or other extraneous noise going on all the time. I have never seen a work environment like that. Every TV station that I have worked at has been over-the-top with noise, at the very least. Screaming and antagonizing people were usually present too. When I start my newspaper internship in the fall, I wonder if I'll be able to concentrate...

No comments: