Saturday, July 22, 2006

Grad school, here I am.

Ok I am finally starting a blog. Blogger tells me that I've had this account since 2001, but I hadn't paid much attention to the newest internet craze until now. It just seemed kind of weird to talk about my personal life online, for everyone to see. I kind of liked the old-fashioned method of telling people of MY choosing what I've been up to. Many of my younger friends have blogs which are personal, online journals, but I always blew it off as a "Kids these days" kind of thing. I'm not adverse to technology... I have a 3rd gen iPod. I have a cell phone. I even have a Powerbook. I love e-mail. But blogging, well, it just wasn't for me. Until now...

Since I arrived at SU three weeks ago, it has been suggested over and over again that starting a blog would be a good idea. It wasn't until Friday's guest speaker, Michael Barnes from the Austin-American Statesman, showed us how valuable it could be, that I decided to actually put my five-year-old account to use.

So there you have it. I will try not to write mundane things like "I just got a latte at Freedom of Espresso coffee shop" or "I bought a cool skirt at H&M today." I will try to write about things that interest me, excite me or even upset me on a broader level. But sometimes I might be compelled to write about silly things like the fact that I went salsa dancing last night and actually had a blast, and that now I am blowing off my need to do research in order to meet my friend Linda at the mall to watch a movie and do a little shopping. (It's true!)

Welcome to my blog, and happy weekend, everyone!

2 comments:

annejumps said...

Hey! What's wrong with posting mundane stuff? ;)

Manashi Mukherjee said...

Apparently we shouldn't write about mundane stufff if we are trying to keep a "professional" blog. You gals know how to contact me for the boring details...