Friday, September 08, 2006

The Holy Cities

It's been ages since I've posted, but I did write the following blog over the break. I just never had a chance to post till now... I'll write something more up-to-date over the weekend, but here's something to read in the meantime.

(I should note that the clown that was sitting next to me on the plane was deathly afraid to fly. So afraid that his hands were sweating so much that they were leaving water marks on his pants. Yuck. And he was talking about gravity and how just by being in the plane, we were defying certain natural laws. I don't know how many of you know this about me, but I am slightly afraid to fly as well. Once we're in the air, and I can't see down, there's no problem. But the up and down parts of the ride REALLY BOTHER ME. Anyway, I had to pop open my computer, put on my headphones and pretend to work so he would shut up. And that gave birth to the blog below.)

August 27, 2006
So I'm flying back to Rochester now after two weeks in Atlanta, Austin and Charleston. I'm thinking about my life, and how happy I am to know so many wonderful people. I really had a good time seeing everyone, and I can't believe I was fortunate enough to get everything in that I had wanted to do. I even worked a few days at CNN in the middle of travelling to all those places. My parents got the raw end of the deal, because I didn't get to spend too much time with them. Oh well, Christmas isn't that far away, I guess.

Atlanta is always fun. We celebrated Kara's big promotion and Sidebar's third anniversary. I also helped to host a baby shower for my friend Jody (ed. note: She had the baby on September 3, the best day of the year!) I caught up on celebrity gossip with Stephen, hung out with Margie and Lily and even got to see some of my VJ classmates at Lee's wine tasting party. Good stuff.

Austin is always fun, too. Family fun. But fun. I think I wrote about that and Psycho in my last post, so I'll skip the "my nieces are the most brilliant, funny and beautiful kids on the planet shpeel." (It's only a temporary escape, my friends. I'm sure they'll do something cute, and I'll be forced to tell you all about it.)

Charleston, of course, is wonderful too. I really loved living there, and even though I hated the small-towniness of it when I first arrived, it was very endearing when I left. I was fortunate to catch the last Cabaret Kiki show of the summer. And my friends, these guys were ON FIRE that night. I'd seen several shows before, in rehearsal and from backstage, and it was weird being on the audience-side this time. But it was really fun. I started to write a "review" of the show, but I realized I am far too attached to those people backstage and on-stage. I couldn't write anything other than glowing praise, and that's not really what a "critic" is supposed to do. My opinion: if you're in Charleston, GO SEE THIS SHOW. It's really delightfully entertaining and funny, and the songs are amazingly catchy. Plus Evan Bivins is about the funniest thing I've ever seen.

Carolina St. and Perry St. peeps and Julie, I miss you all so much. But what I miss most is the putanesca, the impromptu barbeques, the late-night stir-fries and the guitar-hero. (Nick, have you gotten to the end of season two YET? Season three starts really soon!)

That's all for now. We're landing soon, and the flight attendant is coming this way to make me put my tray table back up and turn off my electronic devices...

3 comments:

nicholas said...

i will be finishing part one of season 2 today. as soon as the second part comes out on dvd (which i think is 9/19), i will catch up.
but: oh my god. it's ridiculous.

Manashi Mukherjee said...

Heh. Heh. Welcome to the Dark Side... we love having you here. By the way, I am hating the fact that you, Matt and Evan get to watch season three together while I freeze to death in the North Pole and have to watch it solo. Phooey.

I will be obsessing with you all, though. Fear not.

project culture said...

manashi.. i can't believe you didn't hold that poor man's hand on the plane. he needed you. :-)